The following is a guide to building and running Stacks locally. You’ll need to be able to build Stacks to contribute to our documentation or add new classes to our CSS library.
Clone the repoSection titled Clone the repo
There are two common ways to clone a repo:
- Use the command line:
git clone https://github.com/StackExchange/Stacks.git
- Use GitHub’s desktop app.
- Download and install GitHub Desktop.
- Login with your GitHub credentials.
- Clone the Stacks repo.
Get Node and NPM installedSection titled Get Node and NPM installed
We use a bunch of NPM dependencies to process and package up Stacks for delivery. You’ll need to install them.
- Install Node & NPM
- Open the Stacks repo in a Terminal window.
- Install the NPM dependencies.
Running StacksSection titled Running Stacks
That should do it for all our dependencies. You’re now able to run Stacks.
- From the top level of the Stacks repo, run our main script
- Visit your local copy of Stacks at
Getting helpSection titled Getting help
Installing dependencies can be frustrating, and we’re here to help. If you’re stuck, the Stacks team is always available in #stacks. If that doesn’t work, try opening an issue.